Life at UConn
With a diverse and energizing team, University Communications fosters an imaginative and forward-thinking environment. Our office is full of creative, enthusiastic communicators who know how to use strong writing, design, and web developing skills to get attention. Do we have yours? Take a look at the following job descriptions to see whether you fit the mold.
(Don’t worry, you can break the mold, too. We like that.)
School of Dental Medicine/University Communications
Payroll Title: UCP VI
Class Code: 0629-9086
Job Family: COM
FLSA Code: E
The School of Dental Medicine at UConn Health seeks candidates for a full time Publicity/Marketing Administrator (UCP VI) position. Reporting jointly to the Dean of Dental Medicine and the University’s Vice President for Communications (or their designees), the Publicity/Marketing Administrator will develop and implement strategic communications and marketing initiatives on behalf of the school.
Responsibilities include: Develop and implement cost-effective strategies and promotional materials to support the recruitment of students and patients, engagement of alumni, promotion of faculty expertise and student and faculty accomplishments, and raise the awareness of the reputation of the School on a national level. Assist in creating and implementing a comprehensive communication plan. Projects and initiatives may include: writing stories for UConn Today, UConn Health’s official source of news; development and implementation of newsletters and other communications for both internal and external constituents; communications and on-site support of special events to engage students, patients, donors and alumni; and implementation and maintenance of brand standards on behalf of the school.
Communications tactics may include social media channels, creation of marketing brochures, press events, working with faculty to showcase their research and awards, as well as close collaboration with the dean to develop strategic messaging for varied audiences. Understanding various communications requirements such as SEO, mailing regulations and postal changes, digital advertising and sponsorship opportunities, as well as project management for the base of this position is a core requirement.
The position maintains working relationships with members of public media to promote coverage of school events, and assists with special media events designed to draw attention to school programs. Resource allocation and marketing budget oversight also are key responsibilities of the incumbent. Responsibilities for other school projects and event support may be assigned, which may be on-going or short-term and which require planning, coordination, supervision, and resolution of complaints or problems. The incumbent also may recruit, train, organize, and supervise student workers and/or volunteers as necessary, and perform related duties as required, including collaborative work with staff.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities May Include:
- Plans cost-effective promotional strategies and develops marketing plan designed to support target audiences, patient recruitment, student enrollment or other potential users of departmental programs, events or services.
- Writes and produces promotional materials, such as brochures, UConn Today articles, grant announcements, other publicity materials.
- Manages social media accounts, develops presentations, and strategic messaging for key audience constituents, and updates web content on regular basis.
- Maintains working relationships with members of the public media to promote coverage of school programs;
- Serves as a resource to faculty regarding effective promotional strategies and support.
- Develops and implements both internal and external communications, such as social media channels, e-newsletters, and print publications.
- Supervises assistants, student workers and volunteers engaged in all stages of communications projects.
- Writes copy for news articles and releases, public service announcements, informational listings and other publicity materials.
- Develops and implements outreach programs designed to promote departmental programs, events and services with selected potential users.
- Recommends, maintains and monitors communications budget
- Performs marketing studies to evaluate effectiveness, including cost-effectiveness, of promotional efforts.
- Works with vendors to secure digital media advertising, search word google campaigns and other online recruitment and brand support materials.
- Establishes and supervises production and mailing schedule, release of information and other elements of advertising campaign to ensure maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism or related field
- Two to five years’ experience in communications related field or equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Excellent writing and editorial skills
- Willingness to work flexible and irregular hours.
- Health industry or higher education experience
- Social Media experience, managing accounts and curating content
- Web content experience
- Event experience
Appointment Terms: This is a permanent, full-time position at UConn Health in Farmington.
Please upload a cover letter, resume, 3 writing samples that best showcases your range of talent, and (3) references online via UConn Careers, (www.jobs.uconn.edu), Staff Positions. Preference will be given to resumes received by January 23, 2019.
Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is an EEO/AA employer.